Through the awards, Farshore in partnership with The Open University and UK Literacy Association, aim to recognise teachers, reading champions and schools whose practices make a real difference to children’s RfP.
Now in our fifth year there are five award categories: Early Career Teacher, Experienced Teacher, Whole School Award and School Reading Champion and Community Reading Champion. The winner of each category will receive Farshore books to the value of £250 for their school, 20 copies of Help Your Child Love Reading by Alison David and a year’s subscription to Beano magazine.
Last year’s winners and runners-up exemplified research-informed pedagogy and practice that ensured children had environments, time, resources and support to read for pleasure. Have a look at their case studies here.
This year’s judges are:
- Joy Court, Co-founder: All Around Reading
- Teresa Cremin, Professor of Education, The Open University
- Alison David, Consumer Insight Director, Farshore
- Fiona Evans, Head of Schools Programmes, NLT
- Cally Poplak, Executive Publisher, Farshore Books
- David Reedy, UK Literacy Association
- Mike Stirling, Creative Director, Beano Studios
Top tips from the judges:
- Use all the criteria for the award
- Explicitly reference research
- Show the journey you have taken thus far
- Evaluate the impact on children as readers: their pleasure , motivation and behaviours?
- Consider diversity and inclusion
- Observe the word count and include in the references e.g. from AIMS to REFLECTIONS the word count is…(Referencing, quotes, school information and category are all excluded from the count)
- Present your submission professionally
The deadline for entries is midnight on Monday 28th March 2022. The Awards will be announced on Saturday 18th June 2022 at the OU/UKLA Reading for Pleasure conference (or online).
If you would like to apply read through the information leaflet on the awards (see download above) which includes the Awards criteria and further information. Then go to our ‘share your practice’ page here to find the templates for submission (choosing either Word or Powerpoint version). Complete your submission, remembering to make it clear in the title which of the Farshore RfP Awards you are aiming for. To actually submit you will need to have registered as a member on the site (you can see where to do this on the share page, and also it can be found on the top right of every web page). If you are registering for the first time you will need to activate your account so look out for an email from us to complete this step (tip – sometimes this automated email goes into your junk or clutter folder so do search there too). Once you are registered refresh and you will be able to see a ‘Ready to share’ button on our ‘share your practice’ page. Click on that and follow the steps to upload your submission. Good Luck.
2021 Farshore winners can be viewed here.